Bolt of coarsely woven unbleached cloth. The fabric is about 36 inches wide with clear selvages and likely woven at the Rockfish Factory in Cumberland County. The cloth was found between the floors of the Maj. John Devereux home in Raleigh, hidden in April 1865 as Union troops approached the city. The cloth was found when the home was demolished in 1906.
The Rockfish Manufacturing Company was first established around 1840 and was burned in March 1865 by advancing Union troops under the command of General Sherman.
In 1850 Charles P. Mallett was president of the company and John W. Sandford served as treasurer. When fully operational with 100 looms, the factory employed about 150 workers and used about 1,250 cotton bales per year and when first built, it was the largest textile mill south of Petersburg, VA.
*** Maj. Devereaux was quartermaster for the Confederate military in NC and was brother to Catherine Ann Devereux Edmondston, one of the most prolific “posters” to this blog.
Source: North Carolina Museum of History, Accession Number 1914.111.1