Brass, iron, and wood .36 caliber revolvers. Made by Spiller & Burr of Atlanta, Georgia. Serial numbers 1214 and 882. Patterned after the US 1858 Whitney Navy Revolver, 1500 of these were made in Atlanta and Macon, Georgia 1862-1865. These were made after May 1863.
Due to shortages of materials, iron was used instead of steel for the cylinder, and brass was used instead of iron for the frame. Both are marked “CS.” These revolvers are considered second model style because of the major changes to the lock frame that occurred during the summer of 1863 because the lock frames burst during successive firings. M.H. Wright proposed the decrease “the distance froom the end of the cylinder to the lock frame in front – so that there would be but slight play between the end of the cylinder and the lock frame, instead of ¾ of an inch or thereabouts…this would…increase the strength…of the frame.” All revolvers manufactured after May 1863 incorporated this change.
Source: North Carolina Museum of History, Accession numbers 1963.22.14-15